Monday, October 17, 2011

Faces hidden behind the masks of Ideal Christianity

     What exactly is Christianity? What exactly does it look like to walk, talk and behave as Christ did? We have so many "answers", explanations, and methods for how to be the "ideal" christian. As young adults in an ever changing, tolerating world we are often torn between two paths: the worldly path and the one God has laid for us.
     Somewhere in this battle we place masks over our faces, one for Sunday morning, one for school or work. Often times we further divide these masks between us and our family, certain groups of friends, coworkers etc. These masks become walls that we use to shield ourselves, hide us, and protect ourselves from the world.
     My question is really, why do those in the body of Christ wear masks? Are we ashamed, embarrassed or guilty? In Christ there is no condemnation. Just take one look at Jesus's life and you will see that. He chose to hang around prostitutes, cheaters, liers, and adulterers and he loved them entirely without any hint of judgement. Rather, he spoke truth into their lives with acceptance, compassion and love.
     So why do we feel condemned, judged or unaccepted by those in our own church? Personally, I find it much easier to love those far from God then I do those close to him. I think the reason for that is because we believe Christians should just "know better," and so we justify ourselves in judging them.
      At times I can be a very judgmental person. It's not just with other people though, I judge myself very harshly too. I know that I'm not a perfect person. My life has not been characterized by good choices. When I first started addressing those areas in my life where I had messed up I was so hard on myself. I thought, "I should know better." My idea of perfection was shattered and I realized I wasn't even a generally good person. Talk about a reality check.
     I remember about a year ago I was sitting with one of my best friends, smoking some cigars elbows deep in a theological discussion, and suddenly it hit me. My friend of ten years was sharing his heart in a way I had never heard before. He shared his hurts, his struggles and fears with me in a very vulnerable way. For that brief moment he took off his mask and I saw him for who he truly was. It was at that moment I came face to face with the reality that I too had been wearing a mask. Mine was the mask of self-assured confidence.
     When you've been hurt throughout your life, it gets to the point where you don't want to hurt again so you build up a wall and put on a mask to protect yourself.
    But in this moment, as my friend was sharing, I realized it was okay. it was okay to let down your mask and to genuinely live out your life. However the thought of "what will others think," soon popped into my mind.
     As brothers and sisters in Christ we are called to come along side each other to encourage and support one another. We become useless and ineffective witnesses when we reject or condemn our brother or sister because in doing so we portray judgement and condemnation to the world, the exact opposite of what Jesus was communicating on the cross.
    Now this doesn't mean that we can let our brothers and sisters do whatever they want. There are consequences for actions, however our attitude should be one of humbleness rather than shamefulness. There is a significant difference between the two. Conviction comes from the Lord and he uses it to humble us. However we can easily fall into a pit of shame in which the devil fills with concrete making us unable to move. We become stuck in our own shame and guilt thinking that we can never escape. This thought completely discounts the word of God. He promises if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sin. Humbleness on the other hand, is where you accept your inadequacy and the consequences of your choices along with Gods plan over your own.
     My challenge for you is that you open your eyes and look into people rather then just at them. Everyone is broken, some in small ways some in huge ways. Realize that they don't need another judgmental person in their lives. Swap that for love and acceptance with the realization that you to belong in the the group of broken people. It's a strange thought, but it's okay to be broken. It's the only way we can be made new.


"my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." - 2Corinthians 12:9

~Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment