Monday, October 31, 2011

"For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common"

     One of the things I think most people have in common is a desire for a close intimate relationship with someone. Whether is be a romantic relationship or a peer to peer relationship, we all desire to be important in someones eyes.
     So we have this desire, and as a result we seek out a relationship with people. The first question we should ask is who should I seek relationships with? The bible deals with this question specifically in 2 Corinthians 6: 14-18. It says:

"Don't become partners with those who reject God. How can you make a partnership out of right and wrong? That's not partnership; that's war. Is light best friends with dark? Does Christ go strolling with the Devil? Do trust and mistrust hold hands? Who would think of setting up pagan idols in God's holy Temple? But that is exactly what we are, each of us a temple in whom God lives. God himself put it this way:

"I'll live in them, move into them;
I'll be their God and they'll be my people.
So leave the corruption and compromise;
leave it for good," says God.
"Don't link up with those who will pollute you.
I want you all for myself.
I'll be a Father to you;
you'll be sons and daughters to me."
The Word of the Master, God.'"

     If you think about it, this passage makes complete sense. When entering a relationship with anyone, dating or friendship, wisdom says to only seek close intimate relationships with those who also seek God. Closely pairing yourself with someone who rejects God makes no sense when you consider that you have the holy spirit living inside of you. We don't understand the influence that those who reject God can potentially have over us. God himself warns us not to place ourselves in a position in which we could become polluted by the lies of Satan.
     Does this mean we never associate with non-Christians? Not at all. In fact if we didn't our calling to continue to spread God's message would be pointless. However what this passage is saying is that we should't link ourselves (standing arm in arm) with those who will not walk in the same direction we are walking in. Consider it this way, if we want to go east and the person we are arm in arm with wants to go north then there will be some struggle and chances are depending on your own strength you probably will not be able to stay directly on the path you know you need to be taking.
     My challenge to you is to ask yourself who you are walking through life with. Are they people who are walking the same path and pulling you through toward God, or are they people who reject God and therefore have to potential to detour you from your journey?

"Don't link up with those who will pollute you.
I want you all for myself.
I'll be a Father to you;
you'll be sons and daughters to me."

~Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment