A friend loveth at all times...
Even when its hard?
Even when you know that heart is scared?
Even when they mess up and go the wrong way?
Will you be the one who won't walk away?
Will you be the one who loves them in spite of it all?
The one who picks them up even when they fall?
The one they Go to when their worlds a mess
who calms and soothes them in their distress?
Will you be the friend who's always there?
Or will you be the friend that doesn't care?
I wrote this poem last year while I was struggling with two of my very close friends. Both were going through hard times in their life, and I was the only who stepped out and helped them. One of my friends, I discovered, had been taken advantage of by a family member. She had told almost every single one of my friends and no one had done anything about it. They just ignored her. I was taken aback at the way my other friends failed to respond. We are a body of believers, and I would hope that when you find something out like that you would tell someone. But they didn't.
I struggled with how to help her. I knew that I should and that I needed to, but I was completely inadequate to provide proper help. I had never experienced what she had gone through so I couldn't council her. I journaled almost every night, asking God what to do.
"There comes a time in life when you can no longer help. When the scares others have left on the ones you love have penetrated deeper then you thought possible. A heart breaks in two when one sees another whose heart has been shattered by the ones they sought protection from. Families protect and love, least that is the way God designed it. We are sinful and you soon realize how sinful we truly are. The world is a cruel place, but how much crueler does it become when your own family is feared. When a family member steals something so innocent from someone, how do you help that person?"
Like I said before, we are a body of believers, and in that body of believers there is hope. God placed an amazign woman in my life, who is a strong believer and who has gone through the exact same thing. I still praise God for putting her in both my life and the life of my friend. She was the best fit for this situation. She knew what to say and what not to say. She could sympathize and warn her about what not to do.
The hardest part ( and it still remains the hardest) was walking away. I was not the right person to council my friend, so I had to give her over to someone else. When I did, I stopped seeing her (that wasn't my choosing). Our paths didn't cross anymore, and now I sit here thinking about her. The last several months she has come across my mind, and I wonder how she is, if she has told anyone about what happened, or is she back into the same lifestyle that before had been so destructive. Each time I wonder this, God reminds me "I'm in control." Its the hardest thing for me to grasp and for me to take comfort in. I love my friend, and I still cry over her. I want to help her, I want to be there for her, I want to show he how much I do love her, but then God reminds me "I'm in control."
I may not always see then finish line, but God does. Its a hard concept for me to grasp because I can only see whats right in front of me. I can pray though, and that what I do. Whenever I think of her I pray, because God is in control.
~Catie
Even when its hard?
Even when you know that heart is scared?
Even when they mess up and go the wrong way?
Will you be the one who won't walk away?
Will you be the one who loves them in spite of it all?
The one who picks them up even when they fall?
The one they Go to when their worlds a mess
who calms and soothes them in their distress?
Will you be the friend who's always there?
Or will you be the friend that doesn't care?
I wrote this poem last year while I was struggling with two of my very close friends. Both were going through hard times in their life, and I was the only who stepped out and helped them. One of my friends, I discovered, had been taken advantage of by a family member. She had told almost every single one of my friends and no one had done anything about it. They just ignored her. I was taken aback at the way my other friends failed to respond. We are a body of believers, and I would hope that when you find something out like that you would tell someone. But they didn't.
I struggled with how to help her. I knew that I should and that I needed to, but I was completely inadequate to provide proper help. I had never experienced what she had gone through so I couldn't council her. I journaled almost every night, asking God what to do.
"There comes a time in life when you can no longer help. When the scares others have left on the ones you love have penetrated deeper then you thought possible. A heart breaks in two when one sees another whose heart has been shattered by the ones they sought protection from. Families protect and love, least that is the way God designed it. We are sinful and you soon realize how sinful we truly are. The world is a cruel place, but how much crueler does it become when your own family is feared. When a family member steals something so innocent from someone, how do you help that person?"
Like I said before, we are a body of believers, and in that body of believers there is hope. God placed an amazign woman in my life, who is a strong believer and who has gone through the exact same thing. I still praise God for putting her in both my life and the life of my friend. She was the best fit for this situation. She knew what to say and what not to say. She could sympathize and warn her about what not to do.
The hardest part ( and it still remains the hardest) was walking away. I was not the right person to council my friend, so I had to give her over to someone else. When I did, I stopped seeing her (that wasn't my choosing). Our paths didn't cross anymore, and now I sit here thinking about her. The last several months she has come across my mind, and I wonder how she is, if she has told anyone about what happened, or is she back into the same lifestyle that before had been so destructive. Each time I wonder this, God reminds me "I'm in control." Its the hardest thing for me to grasp and for me to take comfort in. I love my friend, and I still cry over her. I want to help her, I want to be there for her, I want to show he how much I do love her, but then God reminds me "I'm in control."
I may not always see then finish line, but God does. Its a hard concept for me to grasp because I can only see whats right in front of me. I can pray though, and that what I do. Whenever I think of her I pray, because God is in control.
~Catie
No comments:
Post a Comment