Last night I sat down to do a devotion, but I wasn't really sure where to start or what to read. I looked over and saw my devotional journal but didn't reach for it yet. I continued to look at it and i noticed a pen sticking out, so I took it off my shelf and opened it. I've read my journal entries so many times that I quickly put it down again. I decided that because I couldn't find anything to do a devotional on, that i might as well clean out my desk. While I was sifting through various papers that needed to be thrown away long ago, I came across a notepad filled with scripture. I took it and sat down on my bed. One verse in particular stuck out to me. It was 2Chorinthians 12:8
"My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Several things about this verse stand out to me. The first part of the verse says, "my grace is sufficient for you." Sufficient in my mind means the perfect amount or enough to satisfy the need. So Gods grace is enough for me, and "his power is made perfect in weakness." I think the last part of the verse is really something to step back and think about.
From the time I was a child, I've been taught how powerful and how awesome God is, but i realized that the only time I have truly experienced his power is when I am utterly weak. I think sometimes when we are going about our daily lives we feel spiritually "strong" and that feeling can be considered prideful. We think that "because I'm not experiencing any negative spiritual emotions" we don't need to be relying on him, and therefore we don't see God's power as clearly as we should. I find that it takes God breaking me for me to realize how wrong I was and how powerful he is. When we are utterly weak it is much easier to see God.
Now both parts of the verse have incredible meaning, however when you read it together it is mind blowing.
"My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in (your) weakness"
Gods grace is enough for us, and his power, his holiness, his mercy, and his love is made perfect (think about the word perfect, having no flaw; "it is made perfect") in our weakness.
Next time you sit down to do a devotional, and your not quite sure what to read, look back at your devotion journal. If you don't have one, I would suggest starting one. Its a great way to keep verses and write about your struggles. When you look back, not only will the verses contain a whole new meaning, but you will be able to see how God lead you through your struggles.
~Catie
No comments:
Post a Comment